The United Nations has unveiled a new design for a World’s first-ever ‘Floating City‘. What once seemed like the moonshot vision of tech billionaires and idealistic architects could soon become a concrete solution to several of the world’s most pressing challenges.
At a recent UN roundtable, a group of builders, engineers, and architects debuted a concept for an affordable floating city.
Some of the unique features of this Oceanix City are-
1. The city would essentially be a collection of Hexagonal platforms that can each hold around 300 residents.
2. The designers consider a group of 6 platforms to be a ‘village‘. The entire city would contain 6 villages, for a total of around 10000 residents.
3. The villages wouldn’t allow any high-emitting Cars or Trucks.
4. The concept calls for ‘Oxean Farming‘ which would involve growing food beneath the surface of the water.
5. Though it’s referred to as a ‘floating city’, the community would actually be moored to the #OceanFloor.
6. The city could also contain an #AcquiferSystem that pulls clean water out of the air.
7. Pulling off a Floating City Concept is difficult, but within reach. It’s somewhat akin to landing on the Moon.
8. The company also believes that a Floating City Project would address both dire housing shortages and threats from rising sea levels.
9. The structures themselves would be designed to withstand all sorts of natural disasters, including Floods, Tsunamis, and Category 5 Hurricanes.