Kashmir’s only connection to the outer world over a century ago, the Jehlum Valley Road came back in operation in 2005 with launch of Srinagar-Muzaffarabad bus service across the Line of Control. The road has interesting history behind it. It was only after the great famine of 1877-79 when thousands of lives were lost due to starvation, the Government woke up to the need of proper road connectivity. As a result, the construction of first phase of the Jhelum valley cart road from Baramulla to Kohala was undertaken in 1880 and later extended upto Srinagar. This road was opened to wheeled traffic in 1890. This road gave much relief to the State Govt and to the people in the years that followed.