The Lead The Newsfeed

Saudi Arabia sets limit of one million Hajj pilgrims this year

Riyadh: Saudi Arabia on Saturday said it will allow one million visitors for the Hajj pilgrimage this year.

Muslims from inside and outside the country will be able to perform the Hajj provided they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and no older than 65, said Saudi Arabia, reported Al Jazeera. Last year only a few thousand domestic pilgrims were allowed to perform the Hajj due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Ministry of Hajj and Umrah said in a statement that pilgrims from abroad must also present a negative COVID-19 PCR test and that there will be additional health precautions.

The Hajj is one of the five pillars of Islam and a once-in-a-lifetime duty for all able-bodied Muslims to perform if they can afford it. It is expected to take place in July this year. Before the virus emerged, some 2.5 million people used to travel every year to Saudi Arabia for Hajj. (ANI)

 

The Dispatch is present across a number of social media platforms. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for exciting videos; join us on Facebook, Intagram and Twitter for quick updates and discussions. We are also available on the Telegram. Follow us on Pinterest for thousands of pictures and graphics. We care to respond to text messages on WhatsApp at 8082480136 [No calls accepted]. To contribute an article or pitch a story idea, write to us at [email protected] |Click to know more about The Dispatch, our standards and policies