By Sadaket A Malik
The National Youth Policy in India has been very skeptic about the youth of Jammu and Kashmir for their participation in several national building activities since decades. Several initiatives were taken by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports in Jammu as well as in Kashmir divisions through its well established District Youth Coordinators of Nehru Yuva Kendras (NYKS). These NYKs, located in almost all the districts of the UT, aim to empower the youth through leadership and involve them in some concrete national development.
The NYKs in Jammu have been rendering noble services in this direction. The path-breaking initiatives of the NYKs of Jammu in most of the rural serenity of Jammu blocks under the banner of NYK Jammu and its affiliated Youth clubs under the able direction of Nisar Ahmed Azad, Pre-COVID and during COVID 19, are worth mentioning.
A man with conviction and always ready to serve the poor and vulnerable sections of the society, apart from being a District Youth Coordinator of Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) in Jammu, Nisar Ahmed Azad has many success stories. Some of the activities amid COVID 19, apart from regular activities, are listed as under:
- Over 150 saplings of different varieties including seasonal fruits and medicinal plants were planted by National Youth Volunteers and Youth Club Members of the Block.
- Massive Awareness on COVID 19 in the majority of Blocks of Jammu.
- Plantation Drive & Covid-19 Awareness Program conducted by Nehru Yuva Kendra Jammu at Jinder Melu, Jammu; at Block – Bhalwal; Beri Chappari Lower (Ranjan) Block Mathwar in which more than 200 saplings of different varieties including seasonal fruits and medicinal Plants were planted; Katal Batal Nagrota; RS Pura & Miran Sahib Block.
- Celebration of 74th Independence Day, FIT India Freedom Run
- The NYK Jammu has a well-knitted network of volunteers, affiliated NGOs and Youth clubs who collaborate with the kendra to provide capacity building programmes and training among the people especially the youth and women. Youth leadership and empowerment has been a major focus of the kendra. Village youth is involved in different national building activities for their empowerment.
- What we need today is to have a reflective youth policy in the UT to provide skill development to the youth in villages.