Jammu: The Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) leaders have become sitting ducks in Kashmir, as they have been killed repeated intervals.
- On April 2, this year, a police constable had sacrificed his life while repulsing an attack on a local BJP leader Anwar Ahmad in the outskirts of Srinagar. The martyr cop was identified as Rameez Raja.
- On March 29, militants killed a Block Development Council (BDC) member, a municipal councilor member, and his personal security guard in the Sopore area of North Kashmir’s Baramulla district. BDC member Reyaz Ahmad was associated with the BJP.
- On October 29, 2020, three BJP workers, including a local youth wing leader, were killed in a terror attack in the Kulgam district of Jammu and Kashmir. Three BJP workers, identified as Fida Hussain Yatoo, Umer Rashid Beigh, and Umer Ramzan Hajam, were killed by terrorists.
- On July 8, 2020 , BJP leader, his father, and his brother killed by terrorists in Bandipora district. Sheikh Waseem Bari, a local BJP leader, and two members of his family were shot dead by terrorists in Kashmir’s Bandipore district.
- The brutal murder of Gowhar Bhat, 30, in the month of November 2019 was followed by the gruesome killing of Shabir Ahmed Bhat on the eve of Eid in the same year.
- Shabir Bhat, killed on the eve of Eid, was ‘Vistarak’ of the party and had assigned to the job to strengthen booth level organization structure in the Pulwama assembly segment. ‘Vistaraks’ are full-timers of the party working at the grass-roots level to educate people about BJP’s policies and programmes.
BJP had created history in District Development Councils (DDCs) elections by winning three seats in Kashmir region.
Why militants targeting only BJP workers, asks party MP
BJP’s Lok Sabha member from Jammu, Jugal Kishore Sharma said that all political parties participated in recently held District Development Councils (DDCs) elections but terrorists only targeting BJP leaders which is a clear indication of nefarious designs. He said that it was all due to the growing acceptance of BJP in Kashmir Valley that terrorists got frustrated.
“We will not succumb before terrorists”, he asserted, adding, “by killing a Kashmiri Pandits terrorists want to sabotage any process of their return to their native places in Valley”.