In 1863, the hospital was handed over to the Army and renamed ‘Military Hospital Colaba’, and was rechristened as INHS Asvini after India attained Independence. In 1977, INHS Asvini was accorded the status of a Command Hospital and further developed under modernisation projects. The hospital complex consists of a mix of old heritage and new buildings with the oldest dating to 1899. The initial bed strength of 300 gradually increased over the years to 825. The hospital is equipped with latest state-of-the-art medical facilities to provide holistic and comprehensive secondary and tertiary care to serving personnel, veterans and their families. It also acts as a referral centre to peripheral hospitals located in Maharashtra, Goa and Gujarat area. The hospital plays a pivotal role in Disaster Response and Management of the #WNC with capability of onsite and offsite management of disasters. INHS Asvini also conducts post graduate training of medical officers, under graduate training of Nursing cadets for Military Nursing Services and diploma training for Para Medical of Army, Navy & Air Force and Friendly Foreign Nations. INHS Asvini has been selected as ‘Centre for Excellence in Mental Health’ under scheme ‘B’ of National Mental Health Plan, under ministry of Health & Family Welfare. ‘Asvini’ has been named after mythological twin brothers, who in Indian mythology were reputed to have been healers and physician of the Gods. The crest design depicts the two Asvini brothers riding in their traditional horse cart holding medicine pots in their hands.