Jammu: Mohammad Shafi of Poonch District residing in the border area of Jammu-Kashmir, was earlier compelled to live in other’s houses.
He later made a Kachcha house. But in this snowfall prone area, a kachha house was rather uncomfortable to live in. On the initiative of Poonch district administration, Shafi got a pucca house under Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojna. Highly pleased with his pucca house, Shafi Says “I thank Modi Sahab”. In fact, in Solatri village, situated in Mankot Tahsil of Poonch district, half a dozen houses have been handed over to the beneficiaries under this Central government scheme.
Ruksana Kosar who has also benefitted from this scheme, says, “We were earlier compelled to live in hardship. But, now we are living comfortably”. Up till now, more than 2 crores houses have been constructed in the rural areas of the nation since 2014 to fulfil the hope of poor people for a roof over their heads. Now the dream of poor, of having a pucca house is being fulfilled by the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojna. These success stories were highlighted in the recent report published by Ministry of Home Affairs to highlight benefits of abrogation of Article 370.
“With freedom from Article 370 and 35-A, Dr. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee’s resolve of ‘One Nation, One Law and One Head of the nation’ became a reality after 70 years of Independence. As a result, Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh, also called the Heaven on Earth, are moving on the path of progress, in step with the rest of the country,” the report said.
Kashmir is keeping pace with the country
Narendra Modi Government erased the pain of the people by removing the provisions of Article 370 from Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh, which had been lagging behind in the race of development for decades. Now it has been brought at par with other states by bringing it into the mainstream. For almost two years now, this region has embarked on a new journey of development. 170 Central laws, which were not applicable earlier, have now been made applicable in this region. At present all the Central laws are applied in the UT of Jammu & Kashmir.
Kashmir had been away from mainstream for decades
Jammu and Kashmir was treated differently from other States of India. This kept the state away from the mainstream.
As per the provisions of Article 370, the Parliament had the right to enact laws with regard to defence, external affairs and communication for Jammu & Kashmir; but to make laws related to any other subject, the Centre had to seek the consent of the state. The Parliament of India could enact laws only on limited subjects in connection with Jammu & Kashmir.
Due to Article 370, most of the sections of the Constitution of India did not apply to the State of Jammu & Kashmir. The people of other states could not purchase land in Jammu & Kashmir. Similarly, the provision of financial emergency as The dream of one nation, one law, one symbol fulfilled The dream of one nation, one law, one symbol fulfilled enshrined in Article 360 of the Constitution of India did not apply to Jammu & Kashmir.
The Central RTI Act also did not apply to Kashmir. The tenure of the Legislative Assembly of Jammu & Kashmir was 6 years, whereas the tenure of Legislative Assemblies of other States is 5 years.
The need for effective removal of Article 370
The Parliament accorded approval on 5th August 2019, for the removal of the special status given to Jammu & Kashmir under Article 370 and 35 A. Union Home Minister Shri Amit Shah had then termed it “a historical step to correct a historical mistake”.
- As a result of the farsightedness of Narendra Modi Government, today, Kashmir is also moving ahead on the path of development along with rest of the country.
- Many laws, like Child Marriage Act, Right to Education and Land Reforms are also effective here, now. Valmiki, Dalit and Gorkha communities, living in the state for decades, 5 The dream of one nation, one law, one symbol fulfilled The dream of one nation, one law, one symbol fulfilled are also now enjoying rights at par with the other residents of the state.
- As per the recommendations of the 15th Finance Commission, the UT of Jammu & Kashmir and UT of Ladakh have been sanctioned a grant of Rs. 30,757 crore and Rs. 5,959 crores respectively, during 2020-21.
- Under the flagship scheme of PMGSY, 5300 KM of roads are being constructed in Jammu & Kashmir. Also, under the Global Investment Summit, MOU’s worth Rs 13,732 crore have been signed.
- On 7 November, 2015, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a reconstruction scheme of about Rs 80,000 crore known as the Prime Minister’s Development Package, to strengthen the Social-Economic infrastructure and for the development of Jammu & Kashmir. After the reorganisation of the erstwhile state, 53 projects of Rs 58,477 crores in Jammu & Kashmir and 9 projects of Rs 21,441 crore in Ladakh are under progress.
Jammu & Kashmir, after the effective removal of Article 370 and 35A
- Removal of Article 370 and 35A was approved by the Parliament on 5 August 2019. Soon after the issuance of the notification, Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh were reorganised into two separate UTs from 31st October 2019.
- With this, 170 laws of Central Government, which were not applied earlier, have been applied in this region. Now the local residents and the residents of other states, enjoy the same rights. Out of the 334 State laws, 164 laws have been repealed and 167 laws have been adapted, according to the Indian Constitution.
- For the people living in areas adjoining the international border, a provision of 3% reservation in jobs and educational institutions has been effected. The dream of one nation, one law, one symbol fulfilled The dream of one nation, one law, one symbol fulfilled 8
- After one year of freedom from Article 370, elections of Gram panchayats and Zila panchayats were conducted successfully. After many years, Panchayat elections were held in the year 2018 and there was a turnout of 74.1%. In 2019 Block Development Council Elections were held for the first time and the voter turnout was 98.3 Percentage. There was record participation in the recently held district level elections as well.
Benefits of Schemes reaching the beneficiaries directly
- 4.4 lakh beneficiaries have been verified in Jammu & Kashmir under Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Scheme. Under this scheme, 1.77 lakh treatments have been authorised in the hospitals of Jammu & Kashmir, for which, an amount of Rs 146 crores has been authorised.
- Jammu & Kashmir is at the forefront in availing benefits under the PM Kisan Scheme in terms of beneficiary percentage as a ratio of total population. Under this scheme, 12.03 lakh beneficiaries have been included so far. Benefits to the deprived Social Security (State) Schemes Saubhagya Scheme 3,87,501 Ujjwala Scheme 12,60,685 Ujala Scheme 15,90,873 8,88,359 Chapter-4 Benefits of Schemes reaching the beneficiaries directly The dream of one nation, one law, one symbol fulfilled The dream of one nation, one law, one symbol fulfilled 10
- Under PM Awas Yojana (rural), 1.34 lakh homes have been sanctioned.
- The people of Valmiki community, have the right to cast their vote for the first time, now.
- Domicile law has been applied. According to the new definition of domicile, the persons residing in Jammu & Kashmir for 15 or more years, will be treated as domiciles.
- Displaced refugees from Western Pakistan too, have human and civil rights now. The way has been paved for the resettlement of Kashmiri Pandits ousted from the Kashmir valley in 1990.
- The protection of rights of the women marrying outside Jammu & Kashmir, as well as their children, has been ensured. 11 The dream of one nation, one law, one symbol fulfilled The dream of one nation, one law, one symbol fulfilled
- For the cultivation of Apple, a market intervention scheme has been implemented. DBT payment’s and transportation by Central procurement Agency under the scheme have stabilized the prices of apple.
Jammu and Kashmir is gaining freedom from terror and moving on the path of development
- After the removal of article 370, the support base of separatists is diminishing. In 2018 fifty-eight, in 2019 seventy and in the year 2020, six leaders of Hurriyat were taken into custody. The security provided to the Hurriyat leaders at government expense has been withdrawn. 82 bank accounts of separatist were frozen.
- The incidents of terror have significantly declined and there is a new found atmosphere of peace and security in the valley.
Support Ethical Journalism. Support The Dispatch
The Dispatch is a sincere effort in ethical journalism. Truth, Accuracy, Independence, Fairness, Impartiality, Humanity and Accountability are key elements of our editorial policy. But we are still not able to generate great stories, because we don’t have adequate resources. As more and more media falls into corporate and political control, informed citizens across the world are funding independent journalism initiatives. Here is your chance to support your local media startup and help independent journalism survive. Click the link below to make a payment of your choice and be a stakeholder in public spirited journalism