In the pre 1947 era, the Christian Missionaries made significant contribution to healthcare infrastructure in Kashmir.
The Christian Missionaries had opened dispensaries at various centres in Jammu and Srinagar. Maharaja Hari Singh was keen on opening two full-fledged public hospitals in the state. Accordingly two public hospitals were built in the state. One named SMGS (Sri Maharaja Gulab Singh) Hospital at Jammu and SMHS (Sri Maharaja Hari Singh) Hospital at Srinagar. SMGS Jammu was built at a cost of Rs 8 lakhs, while the SMHS Hospital is reported to have been built at cost of Rs 35 lakhs. SMGS Hospital in Jammu was thrown open to public by Maharaja Hari Singh on May 6, 1940, the foundation stone of SMHS Srinagar was laid by Marquess of Linlithgow, the Viceroy of India in 1940. SMHS hospital Srinagar was inaugurated by Lord Archibald Wavel on October 11, 1945. In this picture, Maharaja Hari Singh’s wife Tara Devi with Lord Wavell’s wife in Srinagar | The Dispatch